Yes! Champaign County Habitat for Humanity is going back to build in El Salvador. We would love for you to join us in this Global Village Trip with Habitat for Humanity of El Salvador.
Date: March 17th-25th – Spring Break Build!
Are you looking to travel the world with a purpose and make a positive difference in the lives of others and yourself? To experience the culture of a country dramatically different from your own while helping families in need of a simple, decent and affordable home? If so, then please join our Global Village adventure to El Salvador where you will roll-up your sleeves with your fellow like-minded team members working alongside the family and local community members to inspire and provide a “hand up” not a “hand out” for low-income families in need. All it takes is a positive, open-minded, flexible attitude, a willingness to learn, a sense of humor and the desire have fun while working hard as part of a team. There are no prior skills or construction experience required.
The reward for your dedication and commitment will be:
- A tremendous feeling of accomplishment as part of a team building a house in partnership with a family that will forever change their lives
- A deep understanding of the El Salvadorain culture that you will learn and experience first-hand as a participant
- Enjoying the camaraderie, team spirit and fun of a like-minded but diverse team focused on a common and meaningful goal
- An opportunity to learn more about yourself and fellow team members while understanding public service and humanity in a global context
As you build, you’ll be welcomed into the community. Learn to make pupusas and try other typical foods, meet the neighbors whose community you’re helping to improve and explore local sites.
Did you know El Salvador uses American Currency and is the same time zone as us? It is directly below Indiana on the map.
This trip is a unique opportunity to experience life inside the culture.
Global Village sends volunteers to build with Habitat for Humanity projects across the world. Get your hands dirty on the work site, meet families whose housing situations have been improved with Habitat’s help, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required! This build is your next step with Habitat to make the world a better place.
Program donation and fundraising
US$1,000 plus Air fare
Fundraising is as easy as telling your friends, family and coworkers about why you build with Habitat for Humanity. They may even ask to join the team! We set you up with a great website and coaching for success.
El Salvador Fundraising Page
Consider setting a fundraising goal over the minimum. Every donation you raise keeps Habitat building after your team returns home and helps us serve another family.
- Day 1, Saturday: Arrive at San Salvador airport, where Habitat for Humanity staff welcomes you. Travel to accommodations and meet your team over dinner.
- Day 2, Sunday: Habitat staff will orient you to our work in El Salvador and introduce you to the community in which you’ll work.
- Days 3-7, Monday-Friday: Build on-site, with free time and team activities in the evenings.
- Day 8, Saturday: Enjoy a day at the beach, then a final team dinner.
- Day 9, Sunday: Depart for home, or independently continue your travels.
Meals and accommodations
Teams stay at modest, comfortable hotels, two to three people per room. Enjoy a variety of cuisine prepared by locals.
Tasks on the work site
International volunteers may work in all stages of steel frame home construction. Regardless of what stage the house is in when the team arrives, responsibilities will likely include digging, carrying bricks, mixing cement, compacting dirt, moving materials and painting.
email Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org
She will tell you more about the build and learn about you. After speaking with the team leader, donate or fundraise your deposit to secure your spot on the team. The team leader will help you prepare and lead you during the trip.
Have a question?
For more information on joining Habitat on this Global Village Trip, please email Kim at email@example.com
Check out Gary and Kim’s adventures two years go when they were in El Salvador helping to build a home for Geovanny, Yesenia, and their two children.