What is the Process?
Habitat for Humanity of Champaign County will announce open application periods for our home ownership program on this website.
Please submit an interest form to learn more about affordable home ownership and to be notified of open application times.
Once Habitat homebuyers have been accepted into the program, the fun begins! While it typically takes 12 to 18 months before a family moves in to their new home, there is a lot to do during that time.
Once a Homebuyer is approved, requirements include:
Perform 250 hours of Sweat Equity. This includes:
- Free family money management classes
- Free home maintenance classes
- 120 Build Hours
- 80 hours working in the Habitat ReStore
- Up to 50 hours Sweat Equity performed by friends and family
- Other approved Sweat Equity hours such as working on other Habitat build sites, in the Habitat Offices or educational programs
Save money for:
- Save for down payment
- Homeowners insurance
- Moving expenses such as utility change or setup fees, lease cancellation fees and address change charges
Represent and be a STRONG advocate for Habitat:
- Help build their home! They will be on site and working with volunteers throughout the building process developing relationships
- Be available for media interviews regarding their experience with Habitat
- Be center stage for the home dedication and presentation of the keys to their new home
For more information call 217-819-5113
or write to:
Habitat for Humanity
Housing Interest Form Request
119 E. University Ave
Champaign, IL 61820