What is the Process?
If you are interested in learning more about affordable home ownership in Champaign County you will begin by completing a Housing Interest Form.
After orientation potential Partner Families must complete a Housing Application Form. This form includes detailed information regarding the family’s needs, income and ability to pay. A Habitat staff member or volunteer will be available to assist you with this process.
Once the form has been submitted Applicants go through an extensive screening which includes an interview, a home visit, and credit and employment verification.
Once Habitat homebuyers have been accepted into the program, the fun begins! While it typically takes 12 to 18 months before a family moves in to their new home, there is a lot to do during that time.
Once a Homebuyer is approved, requirements include:
Perform 250 hours of Sweat Equity. This includes:
- Free family money management classes
- Free home maintenance classes
- 120 Build Hours
- 80 hours working in the Habitat ReStore
- Up to 50 hours Sweat Equity performed by friends and family
- Other approved Sweat Equity hours such as working on other Habitat build sites, in the Habitat Offices or educational programs
Save money for:
- Save for down payment
- Homeowners insurance
- Moving expenses such as utility change or setup fees, lease cancellation fees and address change charges
Represent and be a STRONG advocate for Habitat:
- Help build their home! They will be on site and working with volunteers throughout the building process developing relationships
- Be available for media interviews regarding their experience with Habitat
- Be center stage for the home dedication and presentation of the keys to their new home
For more information call 217-819-5113
or write to:
Habitat for Humanity
Housing Interest Form Request
119 E. University Ave
Champaign, IL 61820